Household Hazards to Your Pet

Jan 10, 2016 | 0 comments

Household Hazards to Your Pet

When keeping a pet within a household it is important to ensure their safety always. This is important as there are many hazards to pets within a household.

Care needs to be taken as there is no guarantee that the pet will not try to gain access to the medicine cabinet at some stage.


What if My Pet Eats My Medicine or Tablets?

Many people keep medicines such as paracetamol, ibuprofen and other prescribed medicines in the home all of which can be hazardous to pets if consumed. If your pet digests any form of human medication, then your local vet should be contacted immediately.

Ensure to take note of the medication digested, the strength, preparation, and the amount that your pet may have ingested. It can be of great benefit if you can provide this information for the vet as it can help them to form a plan for treatment.

It is important to contact the vet as soon as possible as quick action can be vital in the treatment of your pet. If left too long more of the toxin is absorbed and often cannot be reversed.


What can be hazardous to my pet?

Other hazardous substances which can be found within the home include the following:
– Shower gels, shampoos, conditioners, and soaps.
– Products containing hydrogen peroxide such as hair dyes, contact lens cleaners and cleaning products.
– Bleach.
– Toilet water: can be hazardous if the pet ingests any amount of a toilet block.
– Beauty products such as body lotions, moisturisers, sun cream and cosmetics.
– Anti-freeze or windscreen defrosting sprays. These are particularly bad as they are very tasty to animals and they often consume a large volume in a short space of time. These are very fatal, causing complete renal failure and extreme caution must be taken.
If in any doubt please contact the clinic for advice on (028) 66 347 613.

Need some help?

Is your pet in need of some professional care? Speed up the process by filling out our new client form online, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

What You Need to Know About Microchipping Your Pet

What You Need to Know About Microchipping Your Pet

What is Microchipping for?

From April 2016, it has been a legal requirement for all dogs over the age of 8 weeks to be microchipped. If a dog is found not to be microchipped, then owners can face a fine up to £500. The microchip is a small electronic chip which is implanted underneath the animal’s skin between the two shoulder blades. It is a quick procedure which can be carried out at Cara Veterinary Clinic. We have a sample microchip on display for owners to see, if you would like to see what a microchip looks like call into the clinic.

Keeping Your Dog Free From Ticks

Keeping Your Dog Free From Ticks

Ticks are common parasites, which can be most often found in woods, bog land and grassland. Ticks are spider like with 8 legs but with a large egg like body. Ticks climb on to your pet’s body and attach themselves to their skin. The tick’s body becomes swollen and darker as they suck blood.